Karela Recipe | Bitter Gourd With Onions | Karele Ki Sabzi
This Karela recipe is so delicious and is easy to make. I will explain step by step recipe of bitter gourd with onions. Karele ki sabzi is one of my favorite. Furthermore, some people make karela recipe with onions which is also popular via its name pyaz karele and in my home, i make pyaz karely with the addition of potatoes and trust me they taste super delicious. Let’s look at the ingredients you need to make Bitter gourd.
- Bitter gourd/Karele 1 1/2kg
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 5 onions
- 2 potatoes
- bitter gourd seeds
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 green chilies
- salt 2 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- First of all cut bitter gourd and sprinkle 1 tsp salt on them mix them well and leave them in fridge or at room temperature overnight. By doing this bitterness in bitter gourd will be removed.
- Next day, wash bitter gourd very well. Now take a wok and add cooking oil in it, than add bitter gourd in two halves and fry them in oil until they slightly change their color. Take them out in a bowl.
- In the same wok and oil, add onions and fry them until they become translucent, after that add potatoes and bitter gourd seeds in it and fry them until their color become light golden brown.
- Once you are done with this step, add fried bitter gourd/karele, tomatoes and spices like salt, chili powder, chili flakes, turmeric powder, and coriander powder in a wok and mix them well.
- Now, cover the lid and cook bitter gourd on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes until they become soft. Make sure to mix them after every 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve them hot and enjoy.
- Tip: You can also add 3 to 4 tbsp. of yogurt in bitter gourd to avoid its bitter taste.
I hope you will try the recipe at home and will share your feedback here in the comment section. Thank You!
FM’s Bawarchi Khana